Dentures in Kingstowne VA
Complete and partial dentures are replacements for missing teeth, but are removable instead of being permanently implanted. It may feel uncomfortable in the beginning when speaking or eating, but over time your mouth will adjust and it will feel just as natural.
Full dentures are made when all your teeth are removed. There are two types of full dentures:
- Conventional: After the teeth are removed, the gums will have to spend a few months to fully heal before using dentures. You will have no teeth during the healing process.
- Immediate: A set of dentures will be given right after your teeth are removed. Unlike the conventional dentures, you won’t have to wait, but visits back to the office will be necessary. The jawbone tends to change its shape over time as the gums heal. It is important for a follow up visit to tighten the denture to ensure proper fitting.
These are an option if only a few teeth need removal. They are very similar to bridges except they are not permanent.
Caring for your Dentures
It is still important to clean and care for your dentures like they were your natural teeth.
- Before taking them out, brush your dentures to remove food particles and plaque.
- After you take your dentures out, soak them in room temperature water or denture cleaning solution. It is important to never use hot water. The dentures may bend out of shape.
- Handle your dentures with care! They are delicate and may break if dropped. If you feel like they are becoming loose or are feeling uncomfortable, be sure to give us a call. Never try to fix or adjust them yourself.